Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Tis the season for...ballots and baseball

Life is per-usual around here, which basically means there isn't a lot of blog-worthy news this week. We did our part to vote in the California 2010 Election, which at times felt a little like doing homework:

However, we did have the opportunity to weigh in on our state's next governor and some potentially landmark legislation to legalize marijuana. This year's election leaves much to complain about. One gubernatorial candidate here has spent more then $140 million dollars on her campaign - more than any other candidate for any other office, to date. The mudslinging has gotten ugly, candidates rarely seem to talk about the issues and the campaign speeches have all started to sound the same. Despite this, I feel privileged to be able to partake in our country's democratic process, flawed though it may be. All that's required is to read through some booklets, check a few boxes and stick a stamp on the envelope. The whole process can be done in your pajamas, on the couch, which is actually how I recommend doing it.

It's important to remember, though, how good we have it when it comes to voting. Did you know that the Nineteenth Amendment, which finalized women's suffrage, was passed only 90 years ago by Congress in 1920? This picture below shows South African voters in 2008 who sacrificed a day's wages to stand in line, in the hot sun, just to cast their vote. Sure gives you some perspective.



In unrelated news, the San Francisco Giants are playing in this year's World Series which is big doings 'round these parts. I met a man today in an elevator who was on his way to the first game, giddy with excitement. Not being a loyal MLB fan myself, I tend to look at the practical nature of the situation and mentioned he could probably sell his ticket for a large sum of money. He shook his head in disbelief and replied, "are you kidding? I've been waiting for this my whole life!" They say it's hard not to get swept up in sports fever, but somehow I still manage.

And last but not at all least, I'm posting a new favorite recipe of ours. It's pretty simple and definitely worthy of your next baking adventure. This recipe was given to me for our wedding by my very special Grandma Linda, who lives in Idaho. It's a favorite of her husband Jim's, who she lovingly refers to as her Peach.

Fresh Apple Cake

Ingredients
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 cups coarsely grated tart apples (recommended: Granny Smith)
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins or chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and butter a 9X13 glass baking pan. Mix the eggs, sugar, and oil and stir in the grated apples. In a large mixing bowl, stir together remaining dry ingredients and then add the apple mixture. Add raisins and/or nuts, if using. Bake for 45 minutes - 1 hour until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Mmmmm....hot apple cake & ice cream


Speaking of amazing cakes, I'd like to give a shout out to my cousin Vanessa, who is the resident baker on my side of the family. She is talented and accomplished in the art & science of baking up delicious cakes (her specialty) and cupcakes. She is now baking cakes by order near Ontario, CA and has recently launched a new website, Nessa's Cakes. Check her out!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shoutout! :)

    I have to agree with you on the voting, not a pleasent year. I won't be voting. I know how horrible that may sound but I don't think I am registered to vote... I don't think I would this year anyway, why? Because both candidates are horrible! Jerry Brown is who started this mess we are in and Meg Whitman is republican who I don't trust... so yeah... I know there are other things to vote on but I know I would have to make a decision, and then what about for senate? That one is tough too... Politics irritate me, why can't they all just be nice and have morals?

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa Jo!! I could lecture you for not voting, but nobody likes that, so I'll refrain. It's a depressing election, in depressing times. It shouldn't be that hard for politicians to be decent to one another, play fair and have morals. But then of course, they wouldn't be politicians.

    Just don't be surprised if you get a voter registration card sent to your address, with love, from me. :)

    ReplyDelete